Physical & Health Education
Physical Education is the largest department at WJ Mouat. Each day we provide valuable health and activity service to over 600 students circularly, and another 50-100 students through our lunchtime intramural activity program. We offer the standard Physical and Health Education 9+10 courses, as well as a large breadth of elective programs across the grades to allow students to focus on areas and goals of interest. As a department, all of our courses share the following:
Daily participation in different types of physical activity influences our physical literacy and personal health and fitness goals. Lifelong participation in physical activity has many benefits and is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle. Healthy choices influence our physical, emotional, and mental well-being. Healthy relationships can help us lead to rewarding and fulfilling lives, and advocating for the health and well-being of others connects us to our community.
All courses in the WJ Mouat PE Department weave the following core competencies into our daily instruction and activity:
- Creative Thinking
- Critical Thinking
- Positive Personal and Cultural Identity
- Personal Awareness and Responsibility
- Social Responsibility.
The WJ Mouat Physical Education program has 4 main curricular competencies that students are expected to understand:
- Physical Literacy
- Healthy and Active Living
- Social and Community Health
- Mental Well-Being
The vast majority of assessment in the Physical Education Department is standards based:
- 4: Consistently meeting or exceeding expectations (more than 90% of the time).
- 3: Regularly meeting expectations (more than 70% of the time.)
- 2: Minimally meeting expectations (about 50% of the time).
- 1: Not yet meeting expectations (less than 30% of the time).
For a full listing of courses in the PHE department, browse the course planning guide under the student services tab.